Why Legacy?

We only have One Life - One Legacy that we can leave behind. We will live one life and by our actions provide the written material for our legacy. However, it will truly be written and interpreted by others after we have left this world.

So I ask myself, and I ask you, what is the legacy which you desire to leave behind?What did you write today in the chapter entitled "today"? Did you advance toward your desired legacy, or did you retreat? What you will become is who you were today.

As I write this blog I will be simultaneously challenging myself, and I trust challenging my readers to leave a legacy that matters. One that challenges and changes those you encounter daily and on your journey in life. You have One Life - One Legacy - make it count!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Don't Quit

Don't quit!?? Who me? Never! Well maybe?

This certainly ia an unusual title for someone who has not written on their blog for over a year. Last year I made a promise to the Pastors and Leaders in Uganda that I would continue to teach them from America through the blog. At the time I wasn't expecting to get home and have a huge physical battle being sick with Hep. A. I lost 30 pounds and just didn't have it in me for months to write. Add to that the rebuilding year of the house after the fire and I failed to keep my promise.

Because I have been embarrassed at my failure to write I wanted to quit! Just throw in the towel. Who knows - maybe I could just start something new. Pure and simple I wanted to quit and was rationalizing myself toward that decision.

Recently while in Africa I was again sick for most of the trip. While in my room I kept hearing the enemy of my soul whisper, "you are too old for this stuff - maybe it's time to quit." "Let someone else younger handle this - you need to be well not sick." "You can't do this anymore."

Yes, quitting seemed like the best option. The enemy's persistent whispers began to wear me down. "Just quit" sounded peaceful - restful - enjoyable - healthy!! I wish I could tell you I was triumphant in one moment but the battle wore on for a few days.

A verse came to mind... a powerful word from God.... "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" Phil. 4:13 Every time the whispers came - I repeated the verse over and over. His word began to drown out the whispers and soon I was walking in victory and not defeat.

Then I began to survey the results from our mission trip to Uganda: people were saved at the crusade - including a former Muslim; Emma and the VBS crew led 30 kids to Christ; African Hearts boys home in Sengee had many improvements including floors for the kitchen, the boys were loved on and played with at Sengee; healings were manifested; street kids loved, "football" played, the community lot picked up, kids fed; orphans held & loved; several of the team's hearts were moved to adopt, all of the team was moved to do something for the orphans and so much more. Quit - unthinkable - this is exactly why I won't quit!

God's word again makes it clear, "Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." Galations 6:9 We have reaped, the kingdom has advanced and people have been set free. No, I won't quit - and yes my African Pastors you can count on many more posts to work with you to reach your wonderful country of Uganda.

If you feel like quitting right now, think again. You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you! Ask the Lord to strengthen you to help you see His hand. I have never preached with as much anointing as I did on this trip.

Also, you will reap and reaping may just be around the next curve in the road! Keep going!

Radically Devoted, Pastor Dwight

4 comments:

  1. Amen thanks for the encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God." ~Eleanor Powell

    Good to see you back writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have not checked your blog in many, many, many months because, well, you were not writing and understandably so. Well, we "just happened" to check it today and what do we read...

    THE SAME WORD GOD GAVE US THROUGH ONE OF LINNY'S BLOGGY BUDDIES WHO HAS BEEN PRAYING FOR US AND KENYA!

    So nice to have that word confirmed by a pastor who's radically devoted to Christ and HIS heart for orphans.

    Bless you guys. Thanks for not quitting. We won't either.

    Mark and Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey.
    Since we could not comment on the Yo Africa post for some weird techie problem, we just wanted to say - you better start writing to Africa cause we're planning on leaving for Kenya in a few months and we're going to get you one HUGE African following! So, how's that ole boy scout motto go...
    BE PREPARED!
    Mark and Lisa

    ReplyDelete